Sunday, September 03, 2006

Yoghurt with some Spice of Life

Whenever we go to Spain to visit family in the summers, my siblings and I eat our weight in yoghurt. Well, maybe not quite, but we love everything from simple Dannon Singles to Yoghurt Mousse to a kid's custard-like yoghurt called Petit Suisse (not the French cheese, but a unique Spanish type of flavored yoghurt). I adore yoghurt based sauces at ethnic restaurants. I could live off yoghurt parfaits with fresh berries and granola. A friend of mine once made a delicious sweet Indian dessert made of yoghurt, and I couldn't get enough of it.

Last night, as I scarfed down leftover chunky spaghetti (more on that in another post), I decided to accompany my dinner with a light and tasty dessert, based on my Indian friend's traditional recipe.

Spiced Yoghurt

1 cup plain yoghurt
4 teaspoons sugar
pinch of saffron threads (about 15 threads total)
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)

Place yoghurt in a cup. Blend in sugar and spices. Let sit for at least 1/2 an hour in the refrigerator. Stir to blend before eating with a spoon.

(Note: When my friend made this dessert, she also added cardamon seeds. I didn't have any on hand, so I used cloves instead. You could also add grated nutmeg, a little bit of ginger, heck! a little bit of pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice would be glorious, and let it sit. That's all there is to it!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home